Saturday, March 19, 2011

Ann Coulter, Radiation, and Hormesis

So, you probably already know about the Ann Coulter column and interview, where she says a large number of Coulter-esque things about radiation. For a thorough takedown of her argument, check out this Pharyngula post.

For a takedown that is based on ad hominem attacks rather than evidence, but contains pictures, keep reading.
Original image at Darwin Eats Cake.
URL for sharing: http://www.darwineatscake.com/?id=9
URL for hotlinking or embedding: http://www.darwineatscake.com/img/comic/9.jpg

Calabrese, E., & Baldwin, L. (2003). Hormesis: The Dose-Response Revolution
Annual Review of Pharmacology and Toxicology, 43 (1), 175-197 DOI: 10.1146/annurev.pharmtox.43.100901.140223


Update: Wow. In the original post, I spelled "radiation" wrong. Now corrected.

4 comments:

  1. Exercise? Too much can be harmful?! Crap...

    BTW, that was excellent. "Right, or Ann Coulter." Luf it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interestingly, homeopathy also operates on this principle: take a (much) smaller dose, get much better results. I suspect it also has the same validity as homeopathy, which is to say none. Obviously just saying it's a small dose of something that's toxic at high doses doesn't mean a thing so far as whether or not it's good for you.

    I found this page while investigating a national columnist here in Canada who just spewed out a similar line of nonsense. I suspect his source was Coulter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cartoon is funny. Although I do not need any doses of Ann Coulter to feel good about myself. Her voice grates my ears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That which does not kill me makes me stronger. Unless it builds up in my bones over time.

    ReplyDelete