Friday, June 24, 2011

The four seasons of Lucius Malfoy

So, there are a couple of things that I'm a sucker for. One is art from the Art Nouveau / Jugendstil era. The other is sequences. By sequences I mean variations on a theme - in poetry or art or music - that add a sort of texture or extra dimension to a subject.

Back around the turn of the twentieth century, Alphonse Mucha created a lot of such series, particularly of the muses and the seasons.
One of several sequences of the seasons created by Alphonse Mucha.
Now, Mucha-style season sequences provide subject matter for a lot of artists. In a way, the allusive nature of these modern pieces adds yet another dimension to the art. Instances can be found all over the place at deviantART. For example, here's Ariel (The Little Mermaid) as Summer, by Larocka84:
Larocka84 also has Belle (Beauty and the Beast) as Winter and Pocahontas as Autumn. I'm assuming that Spring is still in the works -- maybe Chicken Little?

My favorite modern set is this almost Chibi-style series by deviantART-ist cippow25, whose whole collection you can check out here.

 



But most recently, I came across this series, featuring Lucius Malfoy, by artist vimessy. As the final Harry Potter movie is coming out in just a few weeks, it also seems timely:


Pure awesome. I especially love his cane. And now,when you see Malfoy on the big screen, you're going to be imagining that, under his robes, he is wearing his Slytherin banana hammock.

2 comments:

  1. I really love Alphonse Mucha too. So much so, that I'm going to ignore seeing those expansions of his work by others. I know imitation is flattery and all, but ... ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and I can promise you that no amount of eye scrubbing makes it go away.

    ReplyDelete