Saturday, December 31, 2011

Sherlock / Smaug reads Kubla Khan

So, the official title of this is "Benedict Cumberbatch reads Kubla Khan," but if you're like me, you're all, "Who the hell is Benedict Cumberbatch? That sounds like either a good way to ruin poached eggs, or some sort of sexually transmitted fungal infection."

To save you from embarrassment, I'll just tell you. He's this dude:

image from Wikipedia

That's the actor who plays Sherlock Holmes in the most recent incarnation from the BBC, Sherlock.

He's also going to be playing the dragon Smaug in the upcoming Hobbit movies (via motion capture), and providing the voice for the Necromancer (aka Sauron). In those same movies, Bilbo Baggins will be played by Martin Freeman. Freeman also plays Watson opposite Cumberbatch's Holmes.

Somehow the whole situation seems Oedipal to me, although I can't quite articulate why.

Anyway, here is Cumberbatch reading Kubla Khan, one of my favorites. It is embedded here as a YouTube video, but is just audio.

If you're watching it with the sound off, but want to know what the experience would be like if you could actually hear it, here are a few comments from YouTube:

     "I want to be these words. His voice practically caresses them."

     "I would gladly go to that pleasure dome if he was in it."

     "me gusta"

     "OVARIES GO BOOM!!!!!!"


No comments:

Post a Comment